In the Tall, Tall Grass {With a Freebie!}

Thursday, April 18, 2013
Happy Friday eve :) I can feel the school year winding down and summer approaching! With that being said, Spring is being celebrated in PreK this month. This week we read In the Tall, Tall Grass by Denise Fleming. Last year I read a blog post by Jenna from Speech Room News about her activity that she did with this story. I decided to do it with my kiddos, too!
With this activity, my students were able to retell and recreate the story. I started with a piece of green card stock paper (we had an abundance in our room for some reason) and folded it almost in half. I left room at the top for the sentence, "I see ____ in the tall, tall grass." Then I let the kiddos choose their favorite critters from the story and let them glue them in the grass. After they were done, they were able to peek through the grass and tell me what they saw using the prompted sentence, "I see ___ in the tall, tall grass."
This was a great story and activity to target:
spring vocabulary
wh-questions
using complete sentences
grammar
following directions
prepositions
qualitative concepts
quantitative concepts
etc., etc., etc.!

I created the critters using Graphics Factory. You can download my 3 page document to go along with the story for free!


I saw in a recent post that Jenn from Crazy Speech World created an articulation activity that would also go great with this story... I think I may use this one next week :)



Powered by Blogger.