Monday, April 8, 2013

Category Detectives!

I have had quite a few students working on categories this year as IEP goals. I was running out of fun activities to do with them so I created.... Category Detectives!
Category Detectives is a 26 page activity pack that includes a matching game, a game board, and game cards. There are multiple ways these activity cards can be used, but below is how I use them:
Pages 3-17 is a matching game activity. Your students' mission is to match the magnifying glass with the  corresponding notepad. I like to play this game like concentration/ memory. Decide how many categories you want to use, then place all the cards face down and have the students take turns flipping 2 over at a time as they try to find a match!
Page 18 includes a game board for The Category Detective Game! The game includes 40 task cards. The task cards either have students name the category or name items that fit in the category. 
Print out and laminate the cards. Have students take turns answering a task card as they move around the game board. Each correct response allows you to move ahead 1 space (or you could use dice)
Mix these bonus cards in with the task cards to make the game a little more fun!

Blank note cards are also included so you can create you own game cards based on your students needs!

You can download Category Detectives here! or try to win a copy below....

26 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great activity for some of my students working on categories and I like the detective theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Social skills... perspective taking, reading social cues, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun, engaging game for working on categories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love having my students be detective. We get out the magnify glasses and go on hunts! Your new activity will be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always looking for vocabulary activities, memory and social skills. Great activity!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun way to work on categories. To be a detective is quite exciting for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carryover for artic-R, S, L and sound loaded phrases for CAS kiddos - especially bilabial sounds and F, too.

    :)

    twmorlan@gmail.com GoldCountrySLP

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how the theme and the activity tie together. The detective theme is a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Basic concepts/comprehension, sentence construction

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fluency and pragmatics materials are always high on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm looking for grammar materials and vocabulary! Great activity!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am looking for materials for problem solving, grammar and social skills.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love materials for making inferences in short and/or longer paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am always looking for social activities and articulation activities that target the sentence level!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am always looking for descriptive activites and social skills activites for for 2nd and up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm always looking for products that include visuals for explaining language concepts/social rules. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. social skills, inferences, predicting, upper elementary and middle school vocabulary

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am really gold world of warcraft impressed with buy gold to world of warcraft your writing skills and also with the buy world of warcraft gold layout on your weblog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. vocabulary, grammar, problem solving, inferencing, and predicting

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a cute idea!! I love new activities for any area!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Vocabulary is always something I'm working on and needing materials for-especially for my ELL kiddos! Also-grammar!

    ReplyDelete
  22. common core vocab for older students.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Grammar - specifically for question structure

    ReplyDelete
  24. Syntax - understanding and producing compound and complex sentence structure (think the higher level conjunctive forms on Formulating Sentences subtest of CELF-4) for Gr 3-5 students!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am looking for more auditory reasoning activities.

    ReplyDelete