Ten Chirpy Chicks [With a Freebie!!]

Monday, April 22, 2013
One of my absolute favorite groups of kids to work with at school is my 3-4 year old inclusion group... and this week PreK is down on the farm! I decided to use Ten Chirpy Chicks by Debbie Tarbett with them. This book is one of my favorite to use with little ones. Debbie Tarbett has other books just like this one that targets counting with other animals. I always use Ten Friendly Fish during our Under The Sea unit!
The story starts out with 10 little chicks and counts down as each chick decides to go hang out with another farm animal. 
"Ten chirpy chicks, out walking in a line. One joins some puppies in the bright sunshine!"
At the end of the book, they are all reunited on a pop-up page!

Since I see my PreK kiddos during whole group and small group, I created two activities to do with this book. The first part includes vocabulary picture cards of animals from the story and 10 little chicks. Before we read the story, I have the kids try to name animals that live on the farm or guess what animals they think they will see in this story. Then, I introduce the picture cards and place them in front of me on the rug. I also lay out the 10 little chicks. As we read the story, the kids take turns taking one chick away and putting it with his new farm friend!
For small group, I created a sorting activity. This activity includes  Zoo Animals and Farm Animals placemats, zoo animal picture vocabulary cards, and the farm animal cards from the story. The kids take turns choosing an animal and placing them in the correct category. 
I am always able to hit so many of my students' goals with this activity. 
Graphics for this activity came from Graphics Factory
Please leave me a little love note and let me know if you snagged it :)


 
Powered by Blogger.