Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tuesday: Talk Data To Me!

Happy Tuesday! I hope you all found yesterday's post about organization helpful. Today is the day I know most of you have been waiting for... Data Day! I have posted a few different data sheets because there really isn't one sheet that will work for everyone. I have found that with my very young students, anecdotal data is sometimes the best! Because you can't always measure communication with pluses and minuses.
If you remember from my How Do You Keep Student Data post, I use binders to keep my student information and data organized. Inside the binder, I have dividers separating each student. I also have a student information chart (download below), data sheets, and some work samples to show progress. If the student really wants to keep their work, make a photo copy and keep it in the binder. I like keeping random work samples in the binders for a few reasons. It is great to have to show the teachers and parents at meetings. It is also great to have to remind ourselves (and the student) how much progress they really have made when you feel like they aren't reaching their goals. 

Student Information Sheet: This is like a snap shot of your student. It includes their information, IEP date, re-evaluation date, recent evaluation information, services they receive, etc. 

Student Data Sheet: students can keep track of their own goals. I have found this to be very motivating for my students. They are very aware of their goals and they are able to track their own progress.  **Bonus: Principals LOVE to see this!

Anecdotal Data Notes: I like using this when pluses and minuses just wont cut it! For example, this has really come in handy for me with preschoolers that have very limited vocabulary. I have noted words he/she uses during structured play. 

Data Sheet #1: This sheet is helpful for showing progress and growth with one specific goal.

Data Sheet #2: This is my go-to data sheet! This is the one most of you have emailed me for!

How do you find keeping data is best for you?

13 comments:

  1. I use a data sheet similar to your second one. Since most of my students are seen in groups, I like having all my students' data on the same group data sheet. I then transfer each student's data to their individual therapy records after the session is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great data sheets. How did you learn to make all your wonderful printables?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eden! I use power point to make them. I found the backgrounds on Pinterest (for free!) and I get the clip art from the 3am Teacher or Scrappin Doodles. You can get them for free or really cheap!

      Delete
  3. I always love looking at other people's data sheets. I will definitely keep yours in mind. I appreciate you sharing them! Check out mine if you want. I just posted a couple.

    http://speakingofkids.blogspot.com/2012/08/my-data-sheets.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen, These are great! Now we've got much better ways to show thr progress (or lack of) our rti students! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the SLPs I worked with showed me her system of using labels. I use a sheet of labels for each group, so the whole group is on one sheet. When the sheet is filled up, I put each individual's data on a piece of cardstock that has a mailing label complete with their objectives. I've tried various systems throughout the years, and this is what I've found that works best for me.
    Thanks for sharing your system! I'm always on the lookout to work smarter, not harder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are very helpful:) Thanks a ton for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome!! I'm glad you find them helpful!

      Delete
  7. I will definitely be printing and using some of these. I especially like the student data chart so they can track their own progress. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristin,

    I love your ideas, they are so cute!

    I am a special education teacher and am finding your data and information sheets so useful. There are a couple of things that I would love to be able to tweak to better suit the information I would like to track. Is there a way to do this?

    Also, you mentioned that you create these in Excel. I have tried and have not been successful. Each time I try to layer designs, I end up just covering my first design. Is there a trick to this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Thank so much,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! I am always looking for new ideas!!

    ReplyDelete