Thursday, July 26, 2012

It's Baaaaaack!

It's so close I can feel it! Back to school commercials are in heavy rotation and the school dreams have returned. I have to admit, I am kind of looking forward to going back to school this year. I have been out on maternity leave since April 16, so I kinda miss it. (I know, this feeling will be over by October!) So to get you (and me) ready for the start of a new school year, I am hosting Back-2-School Week here on [simply speech.]
Here is the layout of the week:
Monday: Classroom Organization
Templates and ideas to keep you organized!
Tuesday: Data Day
Ideas for keeping student data and printables
Wednesday: Behavior Management and Reward Systems
Ideas to keep you little ones motivated
Thursday: Get To Know You!
Ideas for the first week of speech to help you get to know your students and so they can get to know their new friends!
Friday: Materials and Activities
Some fresh new ideas to get you moving and motivated  for the year!

I am more than willing to make this last 2 weeks if there are any other requests... just let me know!

5 comments:

  1. I am so excited to see what youmhavenfor us next week!! I have been working in my new room since the beg of July....painting...organizing...rearranging....I'm excited to get this year started!!!

    pb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to it, especially Data Day!


    Oh, How Pintearesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting ready too and can't wait to see what you have! Here's a request. I always collect baseline data on all of my students the first two weeks. It's easy to do when I see students individually, but a little trickier in groups. I am always trying to think of an activity the students can be working on independently as I work with each one individually for the 5 or so minutes it takes to collect the baseline data. Would love any fresh ideas for Grades K-1 and Grades 2-4 students? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I collect baseline data I use 2 methods: I use my iPad to video tape them talking about their summer or any topic of their choice and I use a program called 5 Minute Kids. This program has target words and sentences for kids to say. I use this as my data points about once a month. This is an easy way to get percentages and it is consistent. If you don't have access to the program you could easily make your own... maybe I will create one :) When I am working with the 5 Minute program with one student, I usually have the other students coloring a speech worksheet (from Super Duper or another program like that). That usually keeps them busy and quiet so I can work with the student alone. Then they take their sheet home for practice. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. So funny! 5 Minute Kids is exactly what I use with my speech production kiddos! I use speech worksheets or even coloring gameboards that they take home for practice as the "filler" activity once I've worked with students a month, but the first week of school they usually aren't ready for production hmwk yet. What do you use for that very first data point collection session? I was toying with some sort of speech folder title page they could color in and customize (would also contain identification info, schedule, ect.)and then keep in the front of their folders.

      Delete