Multisyllabic Circus

Thursday, May 9, 2013
 Welcome to Day #4 of Phonological Process Week! I hope you all have found this week helpful with a little more information about phonological processes and some activities to help you help your kiddos! I have had multiple articulation students have difficulty producing multisyllabic words. I created this activity just for them! 
Multisyllabic Circus is an 18 page sorting activity that helps students that have difficulty with producing multisyllabic words and maybe even difficulty identifying the number of syllables in words. This activity would be helpful to classroom teachers working on identifying the number of syllables in words with their students. I love using this activity as a speech center. It can just as easily be used as a whole group activity as it can be for independent work. 
Here is how it works: 
Pages 6-17 are word cards that either have a 2, 3, or 4 syllable word and picture 
(the pictures can help the younger non-readers complete this activity independently.) 
Print, cut, and laminate the word/picture cards. 
Have the student choose a card and decide which circus tent the word belongs in.
Also included in the packet is 3 sorting mats for the students to place the word/picture cards
2 Syllable Circus Tent
3 Syllable Circus Tent
4 Syllable Tent
I also included these bonus cards for when the game is played with a group, who doesn't love extra turns?

This is one of my favorite actives to use in therapy. The circus theme is always a hit!


32 comments

  1. I don't really have a 'favorite' theme, but I am a fan of themes that you can use all year around. That way I don't have to feel funny about pulling out a Christmas themed game in May :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Secret Square is one of my favorite. (Which doesn't target phonological processes.) I like this game for my language students. There are so many things you can do with it (describing, questioning, categorizing, compare/contrast)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a favorite theme. I work with middle school students and find that themes aren't always as appropriate or liked at this age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like things that can be used year-round. But I love to whip out seasonally themed activities too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far, my favorite theme has been underwater theme!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hard choice. So far this year I would have to say baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have many many students who struggle with multisyllabic words as well...would love to use this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's tough! I'm working with middle schoolers this year so I can't use themes quite as much, but when I have elementary/preschoolers, my favorite theme has been spring (bugs, kites, flowers, etc...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like to theme my weeks or do seasonal themes. I really like pirate, construction and superhero themes the best. The kids always enjoy those.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't really do themes right now - but would like to do superhero and pirate themes in the future.

    Favorite games in therapy lately: Pop-up Pirate, Blurt, Word on the Street, and HedBanz. (Valerie)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoy seasonal items, but really any theme is great because its another way to introduce new vocabulary. I cannot tell you how helpful this game would be for my kiddos who are apraxic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been playing a dice game with my kiddos and they are loving it! It's Left, Center, Right, and it's pretty easy- they catch on fast, and it's been a nice break for the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This year my room was decorated in popcorn, so that I love finding Popcorn themed activities!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoy seasonal themes, but superheroes and princesses have been a big hit this year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anything having to do with spring/summer! It reminds me that summer break and wonderful weather is on it's way!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't really have a favorite, because I like to mix it up, but I like using seasonal/holiday themed games and activities!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Monsters! But my student are always asking for something new!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love secret square and all your packets because they are so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the seasonal themes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love using seasonal themes and themes that relate to my students interests (e.g. Superheroes, Star Wars, etc.)!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The kids have been loving animals and superheroes lately.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Using Pop-Up Pirate is hands down my favorite activity!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have predominantly boys on my caseload - construction, superheroes, trains, monster trucks are some of the themed activities mine have liked best!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have MANY favorite themes...aside from holidays...these favorites include: farm, bugs, transportation, pirates.

    twmorlan@gmail.com
    GoldCountrySLP

    ReplyDelete
  26. I found a really old game tucked back in a closet at one of my schools. It is called TALK AND TAKE. Complex directions moving colored shaped pieces on board similar to checkers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am getting excited by seasonal themes because you can teach so much useful vocabulary

    ReplyDelete
  28. i dont know if i have a favorite theme because i dont think the kids really pay attention. I find the creativeness of the authors fantastic though.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love themes for my students. We stay on a topic for a few weeks and they get to listen to stories and do activities related to the theme. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really like when it is a theme that can be used anytime of the year. Im a fan of the superhero theme and cute animals:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pirate themes...kids seem to love them!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.