Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Superhero Stopping!

Happy Tuesday!! That means that today is day #2 of Phonological Process Week. Another common phonological process that your child or students may exhibit is called stopping. Stopping  is when a person substitutes a stop sound for a fricative sound. Let's stop and review for a minute....
Stop Sounds:
/b, p, d, t, g, k/
Fricative Sounds:
/s, z, f, v, th, h, sh, zh/
So for example, if a child demonstrated stopping, he or should may say "box" for fox or "tire" for fire. 
Sound familiar?
To work on correcting this phonological process, I created Superhero Stopping! This is a 33 page activity that targets both stops and fricatives. I chose to include both sets of sounds so that the student can practice the stops in the right context. 
The screenshot below is of the Superhero Stopping game board. Move around the board as your child/student correctly practices a target word from the deck. 


This is my favorite part of the activity! I also included 24 multiple choice question cards. All cards have a fricative target as the answer so the student has even more practice with these words. 
Where does a bear live? 
a) cave  
b) cape
The last page includes bonus cards to use in the game just for fun :)
You can purchase this activity in my Teachers Pay Teachers store for $3.00 here
or try to win a copy below! 
PS- don't forget there is a "Speech"er appreciation sale going on May 7-8!








26 comments:

  1. I have several students in speech right now that are stopping big time, and they would definitely benefit from ths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be great to use with my preschoolers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have EC speech students, kindergartners and preschoolers thats would benefit from this packet. It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wrote goals for stopping for a student, but this would be great for many of my preschoolers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would use it with a little girl who needs a lot of help. This would make it fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a couple of students with cleft palate and apraxia tat need to work on this skill to increase intelligibility.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have so many "stoppers" this school year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have two students who are exhibiting stopping patterns in their speech. This activity pack would be so much more engaging for these students.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids love the superhero theme (and I do too)! I have so many K and first graders that would benefit from this activity! Also, I love the clip art and fonts you used!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a few Kindergarten students who would love this activity! Perfect for what we are currently targeting in speech! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a few kiddos who are exhibiting stopping patterns that would benefit from this activity!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a group of phono kids right now and will be seeing them this summer as well. This would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll be doing a summer speech clinic and kids with phonological issues are ones who typically sign up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a student who has fronting, stopping, and consonant cluster goals!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have many preschoolers and some Kindergarten students who could use some fun new cards/activities to work on these sounds! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have two PK students going into KG next year and they have a number of artic and phonological processing errors that this could be great for!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have several preschool students who struggle with this! Graphics are very cute and engaging! Would love to try out this packet with them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have several students that this would help tremendously

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a few students who struggle with this. Cute activity!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have some students who are working on this skill at this time. Very cute packet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have students every year who have this problem. Would love to add this to my toolbox!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have a lot of students who struggle with this. All my kids seem to love superheroes so this would be a welcome treat in my room!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have a group of 1st graders who need practice with continuants. This activity would be a great addition to the activities that I do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have a few kids in mind who could use this activity.

    ReplyDelete