Expanding Vocabulary with EET

Monday, May 20, 2013
Happy first day of Language Week at Simply Speech! Miss Speechie wrote a guest post about EET. If you are a regular reader here you know that I am a big fan of The Story Grammar Marker. I have recently learned about EET. I was very excited to read her post because I have not used EET in my therapy sessions yet. Take it away Miss Speechie!



Expanding Vocabulary with EET
You may have seen those magical letters floating around Pinterest and the blog world.  Those letters stand for Expanding Expression Tool.  It is a multi-sensory approach for expanding vocabulary and verbal expression created by Sara L. Smith.  Click HERE to learn more about the products and see how you can grab an EET for yourself!
I have been using EET for almost 2 years now.  The progress has been amazing!  First of all, my students love anything that they can touch and play with!  They also love anything that helps them and makes communicating easier!  I always start out my school year with introducing the EET and teaching each “bead.”  I have created some activities to help teach each “bead.”   You can learn more about them by clicking the following links:
Once my students have learned how to use the EET with common vocabulary and objects, we incorporate the EET to describing curriculum vocabulary.  I bring in social studies and science vocabulary and allow them to practice!  I even give them graphic organizers to complete which they can bring home to study from!  They have found this extremely helpful!  Some examples of vocabulary concepts: volcano, knight, lungs, galaxy, government, and cells.
For my older students, we practice reading non-fiction stories and articles and complete graphic organizers with information learned from the text.  We use markers or highlighters to locate the evidence in the text!  This is a great skill for them to learn and practice!  It has even helped them learn how to locate key words and phrases and not just highlight complete sentences!  Click HERE to read a previous post about using EET for reading non-fiction texts!
If you are unfamiliar with EET, I recommend checking out their website and watching the video on it about them.  There are also several videos on YouTube as well.  I look forward to continue using EET in my speech therapy room and watching my students progress even further! 
Miss Speechie, M.S. CCC-SLP is a licensed Speech-Language Pathologist and author of the blog Speech Time Fun.  She currently works with elementary students and private clients in a home care setting.  Find her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and TeacherspayTeachers.

Powered by Blogger.