Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Homework Folders... This Is How We Do It!

If you have Montell Jordan in your head now, we are totally on the same page :) Earlier in the school year I had a lot of questions about how I do homework folders. I decided to re-do my method this year and sent them home for the first time this week. This method is pretty simple and will (hopefully!) increase the amount of practice my students get at home.
 Each student has a their own folder. Each folder contains a letter from me, a calendar, and their homework for the week.
The letter explains what is expected from the homework folder. Here's the run down:
-homework is given once a week
-folders stay at home all week and are returned when the calendar says to bring it back
-parents initial in each date that their child practices (alone or with a friend/ family member/ pet( yes, they can read their words to their gerbil!), etc
-if the parent initials at least 3 times during the week, the student gets a treat!

I also include the date and time that the students receive speech services. This way the parents are aware of what time they are with me and can schedule appointments around speech time (wishful thinking, I know!)
I have a blank calendar that I write in for each month. I make notes such as:
"take folder home today"
"bring folder to speech today"
"IEP meeting at 2:00"
etc.... this is a great communication tool with parents!

So that's it! Short, simple, and sweet... Let me know your thoughts!

18 comments:

  1. Kristin I think that looks like a great system! I have a homework folder that I send home once a week. At the beginning of the year I included a letter to the parents encouraging them to practice at home. I also included a communication page so that we could write notes back and forth. The parents sign the homework page so I know they did it and when the kids bring it back they can add a sticker to their sticker chart. So far it works great! Keep us updated on how your system is doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I like the communication notes page! I may add that! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really REALLY like the calendar...what a great idea! (Especially for those families who don't function without one!)
    Great post!
    Let's Talk Speech Therapy
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do your students actually keep up with their folders and return them? Last year was the first year I didn't do speech folders because students never seemed to keep up with them. Your system is GREAT and I love the calendar idea (do you have that in a downloadable format?), I just wish the kids would be more responsible - at least the ones I see! lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent them home for the first time this week... so we will see! In the past about 75% bring them back... but because they know they got a prize :)

      Delete
    2. Oh! and I do have a blank calendar... shoot me and email and I will send it to you. kcummingsslp@yahoo.com

      Delete
  5. I love the calendar idea! I've only been in the school a week and it seems like half of my students have lost their folders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taylor- how was your first week? I try to ask parents at the eligibility meeting/ chats in the car circle how they feel about homework. I get an idea of who to send homework with based on conversations.

      Delete
  6. This year in my welcome back letter I included a letter about the importance of speech homework and asked them to check Yes or No if they wanted speech hmwk and then sign. I only had a couple of people actually check no but that then is documentation if their kid doesn't progress like they think they should. Also, it helps reduce my stress of putting it all together and then not having it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great idea to have them sign a letter! I started speech homework folders this year after some years of randomly sending homework home with students never to see it again. I include a calendar (super cute calendars at hellocuteness.com), small stickers, a letter explaining the process and the homework. I set mine up that the student returns the folder to me for a prize after accumulating 5 stickers. I started it at the beginning of the school year and had good participation but that has really waned in the last few weeks.

      Delete
  7. Hi Kristin! I love you homework folder system. If you would be willing to share your letter and calendars that you use? I would love to try this system out this year.
    Thanks! Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! send me an email, kcummingsslp@yahoo.com and I will send it :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Kristin! I have not had much luck with homework folders in the past,but your system makes me want to try again! Do you have a copy of your letter/blank calendar available for download or
    purchase?
    Thanks!
    Amy Roberts
    roberts4@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristin, I would like to use the calendar system! Could you send me a copy of the blank calendar?My email is mab567@yahoo.com

    Thanks!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kristin,
    I am new to third grade, I have three students who receive speech services, I am very interested in receiving a copy of the homework folder inserts, I think it is something I may incorporate with all my students, I have 29 third graders, and the communication page will help with some of the behavior issues as well, I have three boys who are limited to NO contact with their biological moms, its affecting their behavior in school as well.
    thanks for your help - Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kristin, I am interested in your homework system. I think it is a great carryover and communication tool. I have only been working in the school system for a couple of years after working in the hospital setting for 17 years. This would be very beneficial for the students.

    Thank you! Jodi
    jmk@sssd.k12.pa.us

    ReplyDelete