Sunday, September 15, 2013

Arghh Pirates! A Thematic Unit

Did you know Thursday September 19 is National Talk Like a Pirate Day? I had so much fun last year during pirate week that I have to celebrate with my speechies again this year.
Need some Pirate themed activities? No worries, I've got you covered. Since I have a high number of PreK kids on my caseload, I created a thematic unit packet to address Prek-K goals. Check it out... and make sure you enter to win a copy at the bottom of the post.
 Pages 3-4: Vocabulary Cards
Use these cards to introduce new pirate themed words to your students. You could also print two copies and play a memory game with them, hide them around the room, etc.

Pages 4-9: What Does Not Belong?
Have your students help the pirate decide which item does not belong with the others and why.


Pages 10-13: Pirate Categories
Sort the pictures into the correct category.

Pages 14-16: Pirate Pronouns

This activity includes picture cards that can be used for expressive or receptive pronouns. For example, put 2-3 cards out and prompt the student with a direction: “Show me, she is on the island.” or have the student describe the picture using the correct pronoun. 


Pages 17-20: Phonological Awareness with Polly Parrot
Students decide what to feed Polly based on the initial sound.

“Ahoy! My name is Polly and I am looking for some lunch. Will you help me find something that starts with the /r/ sound to munch?”


Pages 21-22: Writing Prompt (boy & girl)

“If I was a pirate....” 

Enter below to win a copy! If you cannot wait for the giveaway to end and want to have this activity to use now... go ahead and purchase the packet. If you win, you can choose any product from my store for free!


34 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this! This sure would be awesome for my speechies! All of your activities are so FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Pirate activities! Thanks for the reminder that National Talk Like a Pirate is this week!! Arghh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fun! Hope you're enjoying your year out of the schools!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pirate activities too. I had also forgot it was this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids love activities with pirates!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would be so fun to use this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't done a pirate theme before, but I think my kids would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this- and all of your great Speech & Language activities! Thanks for sharing all of your ideas and the giveaway opportunity! SLP <3. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! I have a Pirate Theme for the month of September and would LOVE to use this unit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute. It would be wonderful to have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This will be perfect to use this week! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is soo great for my pre-k kiddos! They LOVE pirates!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going to have a lot of fun with the pirates theme this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've really put some work in this unit! I'm looking forward to participating in my first "Talk like a pirate day"!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This would be such a fun activity for a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful unit! Working on pronouns, categories, and vocabulary is common in my tx. room!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kristin, I love your blog. It is easy to read and you make such useful products and posts! Thank you for all that you do. Manda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! That really means a lot :)

      Delete
  18. This is such a great packet and my kids love pirates. I would love to use this with my kiddos:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pirates are my absolutely FAVORITE unit! Been doing pirates for years during ESY, then added another pirate week during Talk like a Pirate Day (made it a whole week). Kids LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it, and ask "when are we doing the pirates again?". This would be a great addition to my materials.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love doing a pirate unit - the kids are always so into it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love to win this! My kids would FLIP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very cute! I love the variety of materials! Plus this packet is HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love all the goals you have addressed with this packet! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Adorable! I love having themed therapy!

    ReplyDelete