Monday Makeover: Say What? A Comprehension Activity

Monday, January 12, 2015
Happy Monday!! I want to start out by thanking all of you from the bottom of my heart for all of your support with my Teacher's Pay Teacher's store. Creating materials is something that I truly love to do. Your feedback and kind words have been what has motivated me to continue to create over the last 2 years. With that being said, some of my products are over 2 years old- and it's starting to show! While I was browsing TpT this weekend, I realized that some of my products were in need of a makeover. So while Kenzie was napping on Saturday, I gave one of my oldest and most popular downloads a well deserved facelift. Check it out, I am loving this clipart! 
Reading and listening comprehension is a skills that so many of our kids need practice with. I had a pretty heavy caseload the year I made this activity so I wanted to tie this skill into a fun game. Students absorb more information and pay more attention when they are having fun and enjoying the activity- so Say What? was born! 
This activity includes 5 posters and 24 story cards. The posters are great visuals to help students remember key words: Characters, Predicting, Setting, Problem, and Solution. When I had my classroom, I had these posted on the white board by my therapy table. Now that I travel, I have them shrunk down and on a key ring to keep handy. 
Also included in this packet is 24 short stories and comprehension cards. I have used these cards so many ways over the years. Here are a few of my favorite ideas:
-Print them out and have them in a stack. Students must read/listen to the story and answer a question(s) before taking a turn in a board game.
-Divide your therapy group into teams. Read the story/questions to each team and have them participate in some friendly competition with answering the questions!
-Use these cards as "Exit Slips." Students have to read a story and answer the questions on a card before they can leave the speech room. 
You can download a copy of this packet in my TpT store here! 
Today only (1/12/15) this product is 20% off to celebrate the new look! 

Powered by Blogger.