Grammar Boot Camp!

Tuesday, March 19, 2013
I have noticed a big change in my language impaired students over the year. Their expressive language has greatly improved but their written language skills are severely suffering. I am proud that my kiddos can correctly answer questions verbally, but when they go to write out their answer, it does not transfer. I have been studying the new common core skills and L.2 was a red flag for most of my kiddos. So I created a 43 page packet, Common Core Grammar Boot Camp, as a way to work on these skills. 
I went through each L.2 standard for kindergarten-5th grade and pulled out target skills to work on in this pack. Below are some examples of what is included.
Kindergarten:
-capitalization of the first word in a sentence
-capitalizing the pronoun I
-recognizing and naming end punctuation

First Grade:
-capitalizing dates and names
-using end punctuation
-using commas in dates

Second Grade:
-capitalizing holidays, product names, and geographic names
-using apostrophes to form contractions and possessions

Third Grade:
-capitalizing appropriate words in titles
-commas in quotation marks in dialogue
-form and use possessions

Fourth Grade:
-correct capitalization
-correct usage of commas

Fifth Grade:
-commas to separate items in a series
-use underlining, quotation marks, or italicize
The first thing included in this packet is a list of 50 sentences for your use. I call these 2 pages my "Teacher List." This list can be used however you would like. The way that I use this is that I put a sentence or 2 on the board at the beginning of each session. I let the students take turns finding the errors and correcting them. Below is an example. I wrote out the sentence with some errors and she made the corrections in a different color. 
The next type of activity I have included in the packet is Say It. Fix It. Draw It. This is an interactive activity for the students to complete together as a class or complete independently. They should read the sentence out loud,  find the errors, write the sentences correctly in the "Fix It" section, then illustrate the sentence.
I also included a board game, because frankly, who doesn't love games? This is another way to practice grammar skills while having a little fun!
The game includes a game board, 30 question cards, and 6 bonus cards. Some examples of questions are:
-what needs to be capitalized in a sentence?
-name 3 punctuation marks
-do you capitalize pronouns?
-what punctuation mark should come at the end of this sentence.....
-fill in the blank with the correct pronoun
-which word needs to be capitalized?
-which word does NOT need to be capitalized?
I also included 6 blank cards so you can create your own game cards based on student need!

Enter to win one of 3 copies below! 



Powered by Blogger.