Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Grammar Boot Camp!

I have noticed a big change in my language impaired students over the year. Their expressive language has greatly improved but their written language skills are severely suffering. I am proud that my kiddos can correctly answer questions verbally, but when they go to write out their answer, it does not transfer. I have been studying the new common core skills and L.2 was a red flag for most of my kiddos. So I created a 43 page packet, Common Core Grammar Boot Camp, as a way to work on these skills. 
I went through each L.2 standard for kindergarten-5th grade and pulled out target skills to work on in this pack. Below are some examples of what is included.
Kindergarten:
-capitalization of the first word in a sentence
-capitalizing the pronoun I
-recognizing and naming end punctuation

First Grade:
-capitalizing dates and names
-using end punctuation
-using commas in dates

Second Grade:
-capitalizing holidays, product names, and geographic names
-using apostrophes to form contractions and possessions

Third Grade:
-capitalizing appropriate words in titles
-commas in quotation marks in dialogue
-form and use possessions

Fourth Grade:
-correct capitalization
-correct usage of commas

Fifth Grade:
-commas to separate items in a series
-use underlining, quotation marks, or italicize
The first thing included in this packet is a list of 50 sentences for your use. I call these 2 pages my "Teacher List." This list can be used however you would like. The way that I use this is that I put a sentence or 2 on the board at the beginning of each session. I let the students take turns finding the errors and correcting them. Below is an example. I wrote out the sentence with some errors and she made the corrections in a different color. 
The next type of activity I have included in the packet is Say It. Fix It. Draw It. This is an interactive activity for the students to complete together as a class or complete independently. They should read the sentence out loud,  find the errors, write the sentences correctly in the "Fix It" section, then illustrate the sentence.
I also included a board game, because frankly, who doesn't love games? This is another way to practice grammar skills while having a little fun!
The game includes a game board, 30 question cards, and 6 bonus cards. Some examples of questions are:
-what needs to be capitalized in a sentence?
-name 3 punctuation marks
-do you capitalize pronouns?
-what punctuation mark should come at the end of this sentence.....
-fill in the blank with the correct pronoun
-which word needs to be capitalized?
-which word does NOT need to be capitalized?
I also included 6 blank cards so you can create your own game cards based on student need!

Enter to win one of 3 copies below! 



33 comments:

  1. What an amazing way to target carryover of newly acquired oral language skills! My kiddos ALWAYS seem to struggle with this...and I struggle to find ways to help them. This packet will definitely be a great asset - thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! How comprehensive!!! Kristin this packet looks amazing! I LOVE how you tie in the CCSS into your therapy! AWESOME!!! I have several feelings about the CCSS: 1) I can appreciate having guidelines for all states so where ever I move I know what to expect at each grade, 2)however I dislike the lack of complete understanding as to how our special needs kiddos will be able to access these standards as they have been published since 2010 but the Extensions of standards (which is what many of our kiddos would be using to access these standards) have YET to be published...ugh seems like the cart before the horse kind of thing if you ask me.
    I'm interested in knowing how others are able to incorporate the CCSS in their therapy AND do they think it is having a postive/negative/or No effect on speech therapy and students progress. Thanks for the ? kristin...I'll be checking back to see what others say!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome! As a grad student, I would love to have this packet in my tool box for therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MN has had standards for a long time. We have adopted only part of the new common core standards. I'm not so happy with report card grading based on the standards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great carryover packet. I also have lots of kiddos that have great expressive but lack in getting written on paper correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Common core seems very overwhelming to me at this point. A LOT of skills covered under each standard. How can we all possible cover it all?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure about common core, sometimes simplicity is the best, so as long as we target what the child needs as opposed to what a lot of educators say they need, I'm good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great and exactly what I could use with several of my students who need help with their grammar and writing skills.
    Emriebel@embarqmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ironically enough, I have this on my wishlist! As for CCSS, I have mixed feelings. Seems like a lot to cover, but I like having guidelines in common between districts/states.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Texas has not yet accepted CCSS. I think it all looks overwhelming, but I love that it is "common" and that there is a consensus on what children should be doing when.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are still trying to adjust to the common core in our district. Not sure how I feel about it, but realize we really have no choice in the matter - it is here (like it or not!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a very comprehensive and fun activity packet! I currently work on a military base so this would be perfect any time of the year :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bad, I forgot to comment on Common Core! I personally am excited about it since a lot of the standards tie well into what we as SLPs already work on.

      Delete
  13. This looks like such a comprehensive unit. I love all the details you put in your packets.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have mixed feelings about common core. I like the guidelines, but agree with others that there is a lot to cover!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like that parts of the Common Core align with Speech/Language goals or skills that I also work on. I found some good apps that describe the Common Core standards at each grade level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy- please share the apps you have found! I have been on a hunt :)

      Delete
  16. I too struggle to get the kiddos to transfer their good, expressive language skills to writing. I like your approach.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Common Core seems to be a little overwhelming! I do like that everyone everywhere will be on the same standards but I feel like there is just so much!! My kiddos seem to have the same problem! Getting them to transfer their expressive skills into writing can be challenging! This looks like a great activity!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is going on my wishlist. Even though my state has not adapted the common core I am learning more about it and trying to add things into my own speech room. This will be a great product no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I align my goals to the Common Core, specifically sighting what standard the skill I am addressing in therapy will help a student be successful in mastering. So far I really like it. It keeps my therapy educationally relevant! This is a great pack!! I especially like the wh questions for students to express what they know. Your range of activities let students "show" and "tell" what they know. Can't get much more Common Core than that! Definitely would love to win! Thanks for opportunity:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I try to align my goals to the common cores and working in a private school, it makes it easier. However, it is a little overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are such great activities you have targeted in this pack !Very comprehensive!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like using the common core to align my goals!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am honestly very naive to common core, as my state has not (yet) adopted it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Common core is exciting and scary at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, this packet looks amazing! I have a lot of kiddos that would benefit from this and I love that it's linked to common core!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Common core seems very overwhelming! I do like that everyone will be following the same standards but I think there is a lot to cover!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sharing this nice post. When you are planning to write some thing in English Language, it is very important to follow the Grammar and Punctuation tips to express your idea concisely.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete