Tuesday, March 27, 2012

How Do You Keep Student Data?

UPDATE!! I have received a lot of emails requesting data sheets. During Back 2 School Week, I posted updated data sheets. Find them here: http://kcummingsslp.blogspot.com/2012/07/tuesday-talk-data-to-me.html Thanks so much for checking out [simply speech.]

It's that time of year again to start looking at our students' data and progress. Not only is it important for IEP meetings and progress reports, but our records are also a big part of our evaluation. I wanted to share with you what I have found to be the best way I have found so far to keep track of student data.....

This year I decided to use data binders that are divided by grade level. So far this has been a great way to keep everything organized and get to the information you need quickly when necessary. Inside each binder, I have my speech/ language groups separated by dividers.
For each student, I have:

  • A student information profile. This page has their name, IEP date, re-evaluation date, most recent testing scores and information about other programs they may be in as well (OT, PT, SLD, etc).
  • Data sheets and/ or treatment logs. I find that for some groups, good old fashioned +/- data sheets work best, for others, anecdotal data logs works best. 
  • If the students are old enough, they keep their own data as well. This is helpful for them to know what their goals are as well as a self motivation tool. (see below for a picture of the student data sheet I use)
  • I also keep random work samples throughout the year to show progress (both for the parents and to remind myself and the students how far they have come!)
Here is a photo of the data sheet I use. I have tried many, many different forms and this one is my favorite. Simple and to the point. Let me know if you would like me to email you a copy of this one (I am not sure where it originated from)

Below is a photo of the anecdotal data sheet I use. I got this form from the Mommy Speech Therapy blog.
 

Here is a photo of my student friendly data sheet. I mainly use this with my artic kids. After each session, I calculate their percentage of correct productions and they graph their progress. The kids really buy into this and take pride in their work.
 Below is a picture of one of my student's data sheets. The yellow line is his goal (80% accuracy). It is helpful when they are starting a new target to see how close they get to their goal.


I hope you find this helpful.... please share any ways that you collect data!


50 comments:

  1. please email me your data sheet. It'll keep me from having to reinvent the wheel.

    thandshy@nhusd.k12.ca.us

    Thanks, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you email it to me too? kprothe at gmail dot com

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sent it out this morning, let me know if you did not receive it!
    -K

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like a sheet as well.I appreciate it and love the blog!

    kateastedt at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love your student data sheet, please :)

    johnsshannonl at gmail dot com

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you send me the student data sheet please:
    zimmerman_s@ohlsd.org

    Thanks a bunch...GREAT blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have sent out the data sheet to everyone who has requested one. Please let me know if you did not receive it. Thanks everyone :)
    -K

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you send me the data sheet as well? My supervisor is asking to see how we are keeping our data and this would be a great help :) Thanks. lmickeydee@gmail.com

    Really enjoy your ideas !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristin, I'm loving the student data sheet! Would you mind sending me the student data sheet and your student info sheet? I'm interested to see how you've laid out the kiddos info! Thanks soooo much!

    kristina.lagrange@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love the copy of your data sheet! I am always looking for new and helpful ways to collect data! :)
    Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. whoops! guess I should give you my email-
    jperk86@gmail.com

    Thank-you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristin, thank you for sharing your data information. If you find the time please e-mail me your data sheets. thank you so much! rgwest53@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love one also!

    Mary-Schmidt@hotmail.com
    Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love a copy of your student profile and the 2 data sheets. I really like the idea of kids tracking their own progress.
    Thanks for sharing! - Chris
    golfclps@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,
    I would love a copy of your data sheet. I am struggling to create one that would work well for me and would love to see how you do it. Great blog! (a_stollman@sharon.k12.ma.us)

    ReplyDelete
  16. can you email me the student data sheet? i think this might really help some of my kiddos! lauren.rooney@dallastown.net

    thanks! great idea! i also use binders and it helps so so much, i use the dividers that have folders and each week i put in what we are going to do so i can just pull out the sheet or word lists and it makes it so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW I am so happy so many of you are finding this helpful! If you have emailed me or requested a data sheet over the past few days, I have read your message but have not sent out the sheet yet. Today is my first day back from spring break so now that I am in work mode again, I will get it to you. I am going to try to put them in a googledoc link on here instead of emailing them out. Stay tuned....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Would love a copy as well-- my email is jendspeechtherapy@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I put a link to all forms in a more recent post. Hope this helps! :)

      Delete
  19. could you email me the first data sheet too? thanks! dettmer2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. the post following this one has links to the sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wanted to give Marie Dicicca credit for making the student data sheet! She is a SLP in Pinellas County... I never knew she was the genius! Thanks Marie, your sheet is a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd love a copy of these sheets too. My email is jlwood08@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love a copy of these data sheets also, thanks so much.
    linannven@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. what font did you use on the cover of your data binders? i love it! (and the whole concept as well!) i am new slp and just got my own classroom this year and are already finding so many great ideas on your site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pea Ambre! It's from Fonts for Peas (Kevin and Amanda site)

      Delete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi everyone!! Thanks for your continued interest in the data sheets. In the next week or so I will be doing a Back 2 School Week with new and improved data sheets and activities. Keep on the look out for those posts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm looking forward to seeing Back 2 School. I followed so I'll get notification. I hope you'll visit my blog.


    Oh, How Pintearesting!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love a copy of your data sheet. lauren.e.wohl@gmail.com
    Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hii!!! I found your post linked to Pinterest. I would like copies or links to these pages if I could!? Trying to get organized for fall. My email is kdemers7@gmail.com

    Thanks,

    Karissa

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would love a copy of your student data sheet! Thank you!! etafaga@yahoo.com

    Thanks!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  31. HiI emailed before, above! Sorry, I cannot find the link to these sheets I especially like the student data sheet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karissa! Go here: http://kcummingsslp.blogspot.com/2012/07/tuesday-talk-data-to-me.html

      Delete
  32. I would love a copy of your data sheet!

    LLettieri12@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I also could really use a copy of your data sheet. Can you send it to sammccou@yahoo.com. Thanks alot!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your student data sheet! It will be helpful for our new APPR (teacher rating system). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Kristen,

    I know you posted all these data sheets for us to use, (which is fabulous by the way!) but I was wondering if you posted and I"m just missing the student data sheet that states "student's goal" and has them circle the month at the top and circle yes/no for meeting goal this month at the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Here is a direct link to my most updated one :)
      http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Student-Friendly-Data-Sheet-490082

      Delete
    2. I would love the data sheet also! ct18775@gmail.com
      Thank you!

      Delete
  36. Awesome website! Thanks for your hard work! I use a similar data collection form for articulation; how do you take data for language concepts? Thanks in advance!

    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Can you send me these awesome data sheets? My email is shira.aitchison@gmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi. Could you email me the data sheet? My email is jillzeilander@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Kristin!

    May I get copies of your data collection sheets that you are using? If you don't mind, please email copies to me at: krussell@fortsmithschools.org. I sure would like to use these with my students.

    Thanks!!

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  41. Could I get a copy please.
    jada.mcmanus@knoxschools.org
    Thanks they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I would love a copy of the data sheets :)
    lcolvin@ppsb.org
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Could I get a copy of the data sheet as well? gulla.kristine@gmail.com :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete