Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Why I Love Smarty Symbols!

Visual supports are a huge part of my daily life. I use them with my children, my students, and even for myself. Like many of my students, I am a visual learner. Research shows that visuals help us retrieve and retain information better. Words are something that are abstract. So when we can provide a visual support for a child, they have a better chance of understanding the concept.
On a regular basis I use visual schedules and supports with my students. I enjoyed creating these to use in therapy, at school, to create activities for TpT, and visuals to use at home. The hard part has always been finding clip art that relates to the activities I need to add to the product. It's not so easy to find clipart out there for remembering to put the lid back on the peanut butter jar or going to speech therapy. Which is why I was so excited when I learned about Smarty Symbols.
Smarty Symbols is a huge library of symbols and images that teaches and therapists would use on a regular basis. And when I say huge, I mean huge. They currently have over 19,000 images available. I have used Smarty Symbols to create countless visuals for my students such as: 
-Visual reminders
-Classroom rules
-Schedules
-Sentence strips
-Games
-Therapy activities
-Vocabulary cards
-Sequencing
-Step by step directions
...just to name a few
Smarty Symbols has been a great tool to have right at my fingertips. In addition to being able to create you own visuals on their website, there is an activity library where you can share and download materials other educators have created! It's a fantastic community of educators.
You can learn more about Smarty Symbols and their memberships by visiting their website, here. But guess what?! They are letting me give a 1 year personal subscription to Smarty Symbols to one of you! How exciting is that? Enter below, winners will be announced Monday!


32 comments:

  1. I'd love to try Smarty Symbols for making artic activities and visual schedules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would use it to make materials and visual supports for use in therapy (speech, language, pragmatic, behavior, AAC...and more, I'm sure)! Thanks for the giveaway!
    -Cassandra S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to use smarty symbols for aac and other therapy materials. The possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smarty Symbols would elevate language activities as my tactile learners could manipulate the symbols/words instead of simply reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are so many different things that I would like to use smarty symbols for. As a CF I am constantly making materials and visuals which is extremely time consuming since I do not have access to the assortment of symbols this subscription offers. I would use smarty symbols to make speech and language activities, AAC materials, visual supports for pragmatics, behavior, fluency and so many more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to give these a try. I was also looking at Symbol Stix. Have you tried those and if so, do you have a preference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kellie! I have tried Boardmaker, LessonPix, and Smarty Symbols but I have not tried Symbol Stix.

      Delete
  7. I could go on forever about the various ways I can use Smarty symbols. I think this is such an awesome resource and would love to have the opportunity to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would use it to create materials and visual supports.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would use Smarty symbols to make visual schedules, picture cards for articulation practice, storyboards for my Early Childhood literacy circle and the students who are non-verbal. So many uses, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my first intro to smarty symbols! They look amazing! I would love to incorporate them into my therapy when I push into the Pre-k classrooms. They could really help to increase functional communication with teachers and be an awesome visual schedule. Thanks for posting about them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smarty Symbols has definitely made my job much EASIER!



    Dana@College Reine Marrie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would use them for visuals, labeling nouns/verbs, sentence strips, anything! They seem like they would be very useful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my first time knowing these symbols had a name! My goal this year was to incorporate more movement and visuals into therapy so I would use them for making everything more visual. They would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always thought Smarty Symbols were visualizing appealing. As a FutureSLP graduating in a few months, I would definitely use these symbols! Artic, language, visual schedules, the list goes on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would use Smarty Symbols to creat visuals to use with my speech students!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I work in self contained classrooms and I can't wait to use these to add to the other groups of visuals that I already use on a daily basis!

    ReplyDelete
  17. To start with, I would definitely be using them to form therapy materials for my students who need sentence strips. Also for illustrating social narratives.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Visuals are critical for learning and absolutely necessary for the little ones on my caseload. I don't know what I'd do without visuals.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Smarty Symbols look like such a fun way to explain things to my Kinders. They do so well when they can see something visual.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I make lots of visuals for my students. I would love to use smarty symbols!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would use them to make visual schedules!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to use these for social skills activities!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would definitely use Smarty Symbols for visual schedules!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is more like what wouldn't I use it for! Visual aids and schedules, adapted books, etc. I would LOVE to have a subscription!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Visual schedules and visual cues. I am always trying to draw a picture but I am not a great artist.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love to win this subscription! I would use it for so many things-- visual aids, schedules, communication books, therapy activities...

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would love to win! I've been thinking about signing up! I would use these to create all kinds of visuals for my speechies!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am so sad I missed this. I could really use this for a nonprofit project that I'm working one, but perhaps we can squeeze this into our budget.

    www.nynomads.com
    Living sustainably on $100/week in NYC

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hearing Aid Batteries Tips, Hearing aids often use batteries, but the size often varies depending on the gadget. Some even have optional rechargeable batteries. When replacing hearing aid batteries, ensure that they are placed in the compartment with the flat side or plus (+) symbol facing upwards. Any other way will damage your hearing aid.

    ReplyDelete