How to Use Bathroom Cups in Therapy!

Thursday, January 21, 2016
It's hard to believe we are 3 weeks into the new year and this is my first blog post of 2016! Life has been crazy busy, but we have been blessed so I can't complain. I wanted to write this blog post tonight to share with you a crazy idea that has the kids super excited! I have been using something in therapy this past week that is making tedious tasks lots of fun. You ready for this? Bathroom cups. Yep, bathroom cups. Believe it or not, those 3oz little cups are bringing a lot of skill practice into therapy without any complaining. 
 I started out using these cups to help one of my kindergarteners work on his sight words. I grabbed a couple of the cups, wrote some of his sight words on the top, then hid an object under one of the cups when he wasn't looking. He had to guess which cup it was under by reading the sight word on the top first. He thought this was a fun little game and then got even more excited when I started hiding snacks under the cups. He wanted to play over and over again… and you know what that means- lots of practice.
 This activity can easily be adapted for any goals (letter names, vocabulary, colors, size concepts, describing words, you name it) I love using these for articulation practice. Tape a target word or picture to the top of the cup. Have your student(s) practice saying the word before you show them what's under the cup. I promise you, they will love it.
 You can get really creative and build a tower with the cups. Have your student(s) practice their target that's on the cup before he/she can add a cup to the tower. Kids learn so much more when they are engaged and having fun!


Powered by Blogger.