Monday, January 28, 2013

In My Appinion Monday!

It's Monday which means I have another great app to share with you... WH-Questions Island  by Virtual Speech Center. When I was contacted about reviewing this app I was really excited. I have so many students on my caseload that have difficulty answering WH questions and I am always looking for new ways to practice this skill. I have been using this app in therapy for the last few weeks and my students have really enjoyed it.
When you open the app, you are prompted to choose settings, add students, and choose how you want to play. You have two playing options: Flashcards or Board Game. After you choose your playing method, you choose a pirate character for each student and the type of questions you want to use. What I love about this app is that you choose the type of questions for each student. So if Alex is working on 'where' questions and Katie is working on 'how' questions they can work on their own target during their turn. You can also set the questions to be receptive (with multiple choice options) or expressive (with open ended responses).
After all your settings are complete and you begin the activity, the student is prompted with a question  The picture below is an example of an expressive question prompt. This app also allows you to keep data on correct/incorrect answers. 
"How do you erase a chalkboard?"

If you choose the Board Game option, the students get to tap the spinner and move around the game board as they answer the questions and race to the treasure chest!

I had a few of my students complete their own review of the app! They all rated the app 5/5 stars!
Here is what they loved about the app:
1. The butterflies that fly around on the game board.
2. Getting the gold!
3. The treasure that falls down when you land on the pot of gold. 
Here is what they didn't like:
1. The crab and the alligator! (they make you go back 1 space)
2. That only one player wins gold.
I have to admit, I agree with the fact that only one player gets to the treasure chest. When I play a board game in speech, the game isn't over until everyone gets to the finish line. This allows for the most practice of the skill. 
This app would  be a wonderful addition to your speech and language bag of tricks. WH-Questions Island sells for $9.99 in the iTunes store.  or try to win a copy below!



28 comments:

  1. I would love to win the app. I have a lot of students working on wh-questions but it can also be used to target syntax (answer in complete sentences) or articulation carryover.

    And as much as I would love to win the app, I think Rachel deserves it. Sounds like she is having a rough week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This app looks like tons of fun! I love that you can target both receptive and expressive skill sets!

    So many of my elementary school kiddos would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would use this app in my classroom, probably with the board game. We play games almost every day so this would be perfect for the many students that I presently have with difficulties answering questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This app looks great! I have many students working on answering and asking 'wh' questions. I could also use this app to work on vocabulary, since many of my student are ELLs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only would it be great for targeting questions, but it looks like it could be used to describe scenes and use action words. The game is a great feature, but like you, I like for all my kiddos to finish before the game ends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This app is on my wishlist! I would love to have this app for my students with wh questions goals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This would be great for many of my groups. I love that you can set different students to different question types! They would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to use this app in therapy to target answering "wh" questions and formulating sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every year I do a big Pirate unit with all of the kids. Since I have so many working on Wh questions, this app would make a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would use this app every day! Being a recently graduated SLP in a low-budget school board in Canada, I have no actual materials to use in therapy. I have to find creative ways to work on goals :) I do have an ipad though and this app would be useful for a ton of kids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great app I could use with all my students. Thanks for the opportunity to win!

    Abby
    SchoolhouseTalk

    ReplyDelete
  13. An app that does all of the thinking for me! Love it! An incredible number of questions, and the fact that the game can be tailored to each student's needs is great!
    Andrea, a Maine SLP

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have so many students who struggle with comprehension and wh- questions so this would be super useful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would use this app to build comprehension skills. They will think they are having fun (wand they are) and will be learning. I try to use different type of technology with my students and they love all sorts of apps.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have had this app on my wish list for awhile now! I have a ton of students learning to answer questions, and being able to target which questions each student gets is huge! Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would use this app with my "wh" kiddos and auditory comp kiddos.
    ssjvarga@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This app has lots of possibilities. It is so engaging the kids will forget they are working.
    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I, too, have lots of kiddos that are working on questions. Thanks for the review and chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would use this app with my Wh question kids, and also for fluency and artic practice and carryover.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would use this app with my kids with wh- question goals, and as a fun reinforcer for other language kids.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd love to use this for artic carryover, wh-questions and for some of my kiddos working on syntax! Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would use this app for artic AND language because conversation and sentences are super important for carryover. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would use this as a game day activity for my students working on WH questions. I love to use games that are really working on their goals!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would love to win this app to help a great child who struggles with WH questions.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would love to use this app with my many kids working on Wh questions!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is such a great app! I've never heard of it and I don't think I have a student that I wouldn't be able to use it with. Thanks for the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete