Making Magic Words in Speech!

Thursday, February 18, 2021

And for my next trick.... Magic Words!  Don't you just love when you find an activity that makes your students just light up? Occasionally, speech can become a little dull, especially if you have a student that has been with you for a while. Finding new ways to make speech practice fun and exciting can be a little difficult. Magic Words is a fun way to get your kids excited and get a lot of practice in, too!



All you need for this activity is a plain piece of white paper, a white crayon, watercolors, and a paintbrush. I got this Crayola watercolor set with a brush from Target for just over a dollar. Before the kids come in to speech, I write their target words for the day on the paper with white crayon. When they arrive, I tell them the paper is magic paper that makes special words appear when they paint! (or you could say the paint is magic.... whatever works!) 


As the students paint on the paper, the paint won't stick to the crayon, so it makes their words appear like magic! When they discover a new word, I have them practice that word 5 times or put it in a sentence, depending on their level. The amount of giggles that come out of this activity is pretty darn amazing. 


I have used this activity for more than just speech words. I have also written sight words, spelling words, numbers, letters, a secret message... just about anything will work! Just this morning I  drew shapes for a little guy learning those.  I personally haven't tried this, but was a great way to get kids engaged during teletherapy! You would have all the materials on your end and do the painting. The student can practice their word as it appears on your paper! 


I hope this activity will bring a fresh, new idea to your speech room!

Powered by Blogger.