Saturday, December 29, 2012

SLP Chain Letter Link Up!

It has been so much fun reading all of the chain letter link up posts. I feel like I know so many of you even though we have never met! My two "linkers" (is that a word?) today are two very new bloggers, Shannon from Speechy Musings and Maureen from The Speech Bubble. Make sure you go like their Facebook pages and show your support!

Speechy Musings
Speechy Musings

1. Your name, email, and TpT store if you have one. If not, feel free to leave me your blog link.
Shannon Lisowe

2. When and why did you start blogging?
I began blogging this past November. I am a current graduate student and have been following speech blogs for several years. I love the wealth of information that the blogging community provides. I also love how passionate and creative this community is! I couldn't pass up any opportunity to join in and grow as a professional and speech-language pathologist.

3. What is your favorite population to work with?
I love working with children with Autism or children with severe/multiple disabilities! I worked as an SLP-A at a private practice specializing in working with children with Autism or others who benefit from sensorimotor supports. I loved that job and have continued to love that population as well!

4. How much time per week do you spend blogging and/or creating materials?
Because I’m a new blogger, I’m relatively obsessed with creating materials and blogging about everything that comes to mind! I’d say when I was in school I spent about 10 hours a week blogging, but now that I’m on break it is much more than that!

5. What's your favorite topic to create materials for?
Thus far, I haven’t really honed in on a specific topic. I think it will really depend what type of clients I have in my graduate school clinic! I do love hearing requests from other SLPs as well.

6. What's the best thing about blogging?
There are so many amazing things! So far, the thing I brag the most about to my family and friends is being able to connect with some of the most intelligent, creative, and passionate SLPs I've ever seen. In graduate school, it can be easy to lose sight of our impact, but with social media and blogging I am constantly inspired!

7. Do you have any blogging tips?
I am really new so I can’t pretend I’m an expert, but I think if you write things that you have wondered at some point in your life, people will read it. I tend to write about topics I googled and couldn’t find sufficient answers for. If you are a blogger or interested in joining an amazing group of people, I would recommend social media such as Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest as well!

8. Add a question and answer of your choice (can be speech related or not). 
What’s your favorite thing to do during your free time?
With the relatively limited amount of free time I have in graduate school, I love hiking!! I moved to a new area of the country and I love to explore and get some exercise. 

The Speech Bubble
The Speech Bubble
1. Your name, email, blog address, link to TpT store if you have one
Name: Maureen Wilson, M.S., CCC-SLP
blog: The Speech Bubble http://thespeechbubbleslp.blogspot.com/

2. When and why did you start blogging?
I started blogging about a month ago. I kept reading all of these wonderful blogs with helpful hint and reviews.  I realized that I wanted to contribute.  We all have ideas and tricks that we use, and I wanted to share mine with the hopes that it could be that bit of advice that would could help an SLP who feels like they may have run out of options.

3. What is your favorite population to work with?
For me it's a tie!  I love working with students on the spectrum as well as Deaf/HH.  I love the fresh perspective that my students with Autism bring. They see things so differently sometimes that it can stop and make you, "Wow!"  As for my Deaf/HH students; I spent a number of years working with Deaf/HH students, primarily ones with cochlear implants. Watching their speech grow from nothing to full conversations is one of the most amazing experiences possible.

4. How much time per week do you spend blogging and/or creating materials?
I probably spend way more time on the computer than I should, but I really enjoy it. I spend about 5 hours a week blogging and depending on the material I am working on  anywhere from 8-10 hours a week. The weekend is a whole other story.  Most people I know ask why I spend so much time on everything, saying " Isn't it just like going to work again once you go home?". For me its not. I don't know why but making something for my kids and seeing them use it and enjoy it, is a very satisfying experience.  I like posting on new information on my blog or how an activity went over with my kids. Most of the time I hope someone will comment with feedback or something that they do with there kids that is a hit.  

5. What's your favorite topic to create materials for?
I really enjoy creating language activities. I really enjoy vocabulary and comprehension. Learning what words mean and how to use them can be very challenging for my kids, so I feel I need to really be creative with these activities. You can only do the same vocabulary flashcards so many times before you start to get bored. I want to find a way to engage my students and make it fun. Most of them dislike working on semantics because it is so difficult for them, so if I can make it more fun, then they can retain the information better.

6. What's the best thing about blogging?
The best thing about blogging I feel is the concept that you get to share the ideas that you are proud of with EVERYONE! Someone looking for information can go into google, type it in, and TA-DA, you blog pops up with the information they need. I think that is really cool, I hope that doesn't make me to much of a nerd.

7. Do you have any blogging tips?
Have fun.  If you enjoy what you are writing about so will everyone else.

8. Add a question and answer of your choice (can be speech related or not).
Question: If you could do anything else what would it be?
Answer: Not a darn thing. I love being a speech-pathologist! I get to help people say "I love you" to their families, feel like that are good in school because they can finally comprehend the information from the teacher.  There is no job that is greater than that. 
 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete